I'm a Business Owner

As a business owner you are responsible for where your waste ends up.

How you manage your waste could cost your business dearly in terms of money and reputation.

If you produce, carry, import, keep, treat or dispose of waste, you have a legal duty of care’ to make sure your waste is handled safely and only passed to people authorised to receive it.


Construction & Demolition

If your business deals with contruction or demolition then this guide will help you to understand your responsibilities:

Construction & demolition Leaflet

If you carry waste as part of your business, you will need to register as a waste carrier.  There is a two-tier system for registration based on the level of risk.


If your waste is collected by anyone else, it is your responsibility to make sure they are a registered waste carrier and that they are taking your waste to a site authorised to accept it.


You also need to complete waste documentation like a transfer note for every load of waste you pass to others This can be either a hard copy or via the Electronic Duty of Care (EDoC) system.  You may be able to use a ‘season ticket’ if you have regular collections of the same type of waste. Waste documentation should be kept for at least two years.

Natural Resources Wales can provide you with further information on the above and can confirm for you if a business has a waste carrier registration. Visit the Natural Resources Wales website or contact them on 0300 065 3000.


You could be fined up to £5000 if your waste is found dumped illegally. 

The maximum penalties for fly tipping are a £50,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison.

edoc system

edoc online

edoc is a brand new online system designed to help transform the way you record what happens to the waste you produce or handle. It does away with outdated paper waste transfer notes, saving you time, effort and money.

Visit the edoc website to learn more.