I'm a householder

Two thirds of all illegally dumped waste in Wales comes from households. If your waste is found dumped, you could be fined up to £5,000. As householders, we all have a social and legal responsibility to make sure that waste from our homes is disposed of properly.


Registered Waste Carriers

If you are giving your waste to a tradesperson, always ask where they are taking your waste and check that they are a registered waste carrier by requesting to see that person's waste carrier licence.


This includes waste from:

  • Builders, electricians, plumbers and roofers
  • House clearers, skip hire, scrap metal dealers
  • Carpenters and joiners, painters and decorators
  • Kitchen, window and carpet fitters
  • Gardeners, tree surgeons, and waste oil collectors

Why not read our leaflet to make sure that your waste doesn't end up being dumped:

Householders leaflet

All waste carriers must be registered with Natural Resources Wales. If you have any doubts, call Natural Resources Wales on 0300 065 3000.

You can check to see if a company or individual is a registered waste carrier by searching the Public Register via the Natural Resources Wales website.

How do I dispose of my waste myself?

There are many ways you can get rid of your unwanted waste safely, legally and responsibly. Local authorities across Wales run household waste recycling centres, where you can take waste to be recycled or disposed of.

You can use the Recycle for Wales website to find your nearest one or to contact your local council to discuss further.

Recycle for Wales also have a handy tool that helps you to find information on what can be recycled - Can I recycle it?

Most local authorities will also collect large, bulky items from your home for a small fee. Contact your local authority for more information.

What’s more, Freecycle, Pre-loved, Ebay and many more websites are great ways to get rid of waste, and don’t forget charity shops!