I'm a waste carrier

You must register with Natural Resources Wales as a waste carrier. 

There is a two tier system based on the level of risk. The Natural Resources Wales website will help you decide whether you need to be registered, and if so, which level of registration is right for you.

You can register on-line or contact Natural Resources Wales for further information on 0300 065 3000.

Carrying waste whilst not being registered could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £5000.



Carry scrap metal?

Under the scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, if you collect scrap metal you must also have a collectors licence with your Local Authority. This allows you to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing Local Authority. 

A separate licence has to be obtained from each Local Authority you wish to operate in and you must have a copy of the licence on display in your vehicle.  To find out more information on the application and fee, contact your Local Authority.

You must complete a waste document like a transfer note either hard copy or via the Electronic Duty of Care (EDoC) system, for every load of waste you collect. The only exception is if it’s collected from a householder, however one must be completed when the waste is transferred on.

The following leaflet and fact sheet contain guidance on how to become a registered waste carrier and how to operate as a waste carrier legally, safely and responsibly.

Waste carriers leaflet

Waste carriers, broker and dealers fact sheet